Wednesday 9 January 2013

'Life of Pi' - Review


I knew putting Yann Martel's Life of Pi on the bookshelf after receiving it at my 21st would come back to bite me (pun intended). Once a book hits the shelf it mentally gets added to the "short list". Who am I kidding though, I had years to read it. ZOUNDS! (that's Shakespearean for, 'bugger'!) 

So what did I think? Well I think I've finally come to understand why they brought 3D to the big screen! I avoided 3D in the past because it added nothing but a few extra bucks to my ticket... and it's annoying wearing 3D glasses over my already thick rimmed glasses. "A gimmick!" That's what I would've called 3D before this - but Pi sunk that boat (yes, that pun was intended too). 

Was there anyone who thought a novel which predominantly takes place on a life raft between a scrawny Indian lad and a Bengal tiger just wouldn't work on the big screen? Perhaps you are someone who thought the adaption wouldn't possess the magic of the book? Or maybe the lofting unanswered questions would pass over the movie? Well after rushing home from the cinema and turning on my bedside lamp, which hums like an over-sized fly from a Tolkien novel, I frantically danced through the boat book. Yes, the book has a lot more depth (especially when it comes to the religious allegory and faith theme) but I thought Lee's adaption was equally as eloquent and heart-breakingly poetic! David Magee produced a script which stays true to the novel and allows for the cinematic brilliance. I do wonder why Mr. Kumar's polio morphed into Pi's already atheist father though... perhaps for emotional affect? Or perhaps to emphasize the Darwinian side of the film? As a Christian I resented the whole there's no reason behind faith idea but that's something the author actually addressed in the novel,

It was my first clue that atheists are my brothers and sisters of a different faith, and every word they speak speaks of faith. Like me, they go as far as the legs of reason will carry them - and then they leap.

It seems I've gotten so caught up in my viewing and reading experience that I've forgotten to give a plot summary. Alrighty, well our protagonist, Pi Patel (played by three different actors), is a young Indian boy when we are introduced to him but by the end he's something of an international everybody. Pi was lucky enough to live out all of our dreams and grow up in a zoo surrounded by 3D animals! Pi isn't your usual kid though, his great passion is God and religions. So after following his unorthodox upbringing (where he praises Vishnu for introducing him to Christ!) Pi's parents decide to move to Canada in search of a better life. So like Noah before them, the family board a giant vessel with their animals and set out on a never ending journey across the great expanse. And sure enough this is when tragedy strikes as the beast of a ship hits rocky waters and inexplicably sinks - leaving the sixteen year old Pi and a crew of misfit animals (if that's the story you choose to believe) as the only survivors. So ensues Pi's greatest adventure across the ocean with Richard Parker. 

Richard Parker?
To the victor goes the spoils... a life raft in the middle of nowhere...

Richard is the Bengal tiger that takes a liking to the life raft! So after a hyena slays a zebra and an orangutan, and Richard Parker devours the giggling hyena, we are left to witness the standoff between the two lone survivors - Richard Parker and Pi. Their relationship will have you hollering, laughing and before long crying.

How stupid did I look though when I exclaimed after the film, "How did they get a tiger to do all that?"

"Most of it was CGI," my fiance graciously whispered.

That tiger looked fair dinkum to me! 

Learning the truth behind Richard Parker's CGI existence only made me appreciate the acting more. Suraj Sharma had to act with nothing real around him!

Richard Parker was stunning and I have to admit that I also teared up when he "unceremoniously" left! And if my cat-loving fiancĂ© ever buys a feline then you can guess what we'll be naming him.  There were times when I felt I was on the raft with them. My heart ached with them, my skin burnt with Pi's, and I got to the point where I wanted to call a 30 second timeout and retreat to another cinema! I was also battling sea sickness from my not-so-comfy-seat in the second row. From the second row I felt like I was one of the fish in the ocean staring up at the boat. It's all too much of a rush to really pull apart specific scenes - although I do think after surrendering to the temptation of reading the book that the dialogue of Pi is simply "exquisite". 

Sharma was brilliant on that raft and it was shocking to find out that he was only 17 when filming started. He humbly spoke of his acting experience in an interview, "I did one or two plays at school. ... Once I played a tree, so I never thought I would be a good actor." Well that must give me hope as in my year 8 English class we acted out Romeo and Juliet and I played the humble rock Romeo stood behind while calling up to Juliet!

The illuminating sea life had me ooohing!
Is there anyone else out there that feels fatally wounded when animals die? Yes, even CGI animals. There's something about me feeling they are innocent and in need of saving that causes this reaction. Or maybe I need to see a goat get torn to shreds by a Bengal tiger too. If Richard Parker had died I probably would've gone Othello on the theatre full of people. Speaking of which, something I really liked was how interactive the film was. Not just the 3D experience but how everyone felt the need to "Oooh" and "Ahhh", gasp and shriek! And for once I didn't mind - in fact I probably led the charge. Yes, it was something you just couldn't be a passive viewer of.

The ending was not what I expected. To tell you the truth I don't think you have to agree with all the religiosity and God centred purpose of Pi to enjoy the ride. The movie smartly followed the book in keeping it in the first person told by an older Pi who had clearly survived the ordeal. This did not detract from the movie because we find out in due time that the real question behind the story is that of the truth, meaning and purpose of Pi's story.  As a man considerably wiser than me wrote in an email

Is the tiger really a tiger? Does the fact that he has a ridiculously human name mean anything? One creature after another consuming each other until only one ( or 2 ) are left. Many sea faring legends contain hints of cannibalism . WE are swept along by the master story teller as he does what, describe vividly the most remarkable of sea  survival? Or cover the tracks of a dark episode in human nature? Did any of it really happen? Or is it really a story about a story teller? - Yeah, I know right? He's my Yoda.

Hats off to Ang Lee. This is one to remember, and judging from the enthusiastic international reception, Life of Pi will go down in movie folklore - along with Pi's journey - true or not.


Before I rate the movie can I just ask - did anyone notice the emotion Irrfan Khan was able to show in his eyes? I thought he was memorable as the adult Pi.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment